The Global Metallurgy & Chemistry (GMC) organization is responsible at several international sites of SKF for characterization of materials (microstructures, mechanical properties, nondestructive testing) and chemicals (such as lubricants) for rolling bearings. Within the GMC organization, the laboratory in Steyr is particularly outstanding, because it is dedicated to the relatively new material class of structural ceramics. Such ceramic materials are used for rolling elements in Hybrid bearings which is one of SKF's strategic business areas with top growth ambitions.
Materials Engineer - Global Ceramic
Development, implementation and deployment of quality assurance and inspection methods for ceramic rolling elements used in hybrid bearings.
- Assessment and qualification of new/alternative ceramic materials and finished rolling elements of different suppliers
- Responsible for ceramic supplier approval and supplier development together with Group Purchasing and R&D units
- Visual inspection and failure analysis of ceramic rolling elements
- Build up competence in the area of ceramic component inspection methods (e.g. optical, ultrasonic,..) and drive the development of complementary/automated inspection technologies together with QT department
- Evaluation and implementation of new test methods for verifying mechanical properties of materials and components (e.g. Notched Ball Test)
- Contribution to national / international (ISO) standardization work and support further refinement of specifications
- Technical support of different R&D units and other SKF factories in terms of quality assurance
- Engineering degree (preferred Materials science / Metallurgy) with specific skills in Ceramics
- In-depth knowledge of material characterization, mechanical testing and non-destructive testing (industrial experience is advantageous)
- Quality Management skills (ISO 9001, IATF 16949 or ISO 17025) and ability to use quality techniques (MSA, FMEA)
- Analytical and risk based thinking and ability to keep high level of concentration (e.g. for visual inspection)
- Excellent command of English, spoken and written
- Willingness to travel, open communicator, team player
- Willingness and ability to work in international teams
- Self-contained working attitude
- Good computer and software skills
- Knowledge in the field of mechatronics, machine control and ceramic machining is advantageous
- Good knowledge of German language is of advantage
Location: STEYR / Austria
Reporting: The position holder will report to Stefan Strobl, Manager Global Testing, Global Bearing Investigation and Global Metallurgy & Chemistry Laboratory (GMC) Austria.
For further job related information please contact Dr. Stefan Strobl (Tel. +43 7252 / 797 626).
Please send your application (including CV and other relevant information) no later than December 10th, 2017 to Human Resources.
SKF Österreich AG
Address for external applications:
SKF Österreich AG
Att. to Mrs. Sabine Pichler
Seitenstettner Straße 15
4400 Steyr, AUSTRIA
Tel.no.: +43 7252 / 797 677