Patent Counsel (m/f)
We have an opening for a qualified Patent Counsel (patent attorney) in the field of (bio)pharmaceutical research and development and biotechnology. We are looking for a candidate with outstanding professional and personal competencies, highly motivated and with the ability to act agile, as an individual contributor as well as a team player.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Draft patent applications on (bio)pharmaceutical and biotechnological inventions in close interaction with inventors
- Prosecute patent applications for all major jurisdictions and defend patents in opposition proceedings and lawsuits
- Manage patent portfolios in a time- and cost-efficient manner
- Carry out comprehensive freedom-to-operate (FtO) evaluations, monitor patent filing activities of competitors and prepare, file and manage oppositions and nullity suits
- Provide counseling to management, R&D teams, licensing teams and other in-house clients on patent / data exclusivity and FtO strategies and on know-how protection
- Carry out intellectual property (IP) due diligences in licensing projects
- Contribute to (licensing and collaboration) contract work by drafting and negotiating appropriate IP clauses
For this position we offer an interesting salary considering your expertise and personal competencies as well as your professional experience. We are obliged by law to state the minimum salary according to the collective agreement, which amounts to EUR 48,718.04 gross per year (full-time) for this position. An overpayment is possible. Moreover, we offer our employees a variety of attractive social benefits which will be introduced in the personal interview.
- Diploma or Master's degree in Biochemistry, Biotechnology or (Molecular) Biology; PhD or MD
- Experience in drug discovery and development and/or in biopharmaceutical technologies
- European Patent Attorney and/or national patent attorney qualification, or in advanced stage of preparation for such qualification
- Experience in European and national patent laws (3 years or more) and in managing patent portfolios for multiple jurisdictions
- Basic experience in drafting and negotiating IP clauses in collaboration and licensing agreements
- Analytical way of thinking, detail-oriented with the ability to learn, plan, organize, manage and prioritize multiple tasks efficiently
- Highly motivated, structured and independent working style which can be integrated into hierarchical structures
- Excellent communication skills, esp. in English (working language)
Innovative medicines for people and animals have for more than 130 years been what the research-driven pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim stands for. Boehringer Ingelheim is one of the pharmaceutical industry's top 20 companies and to this day remains family-owned. Day by day, some 50,000 employees create value through innovation for the three business areas human pharmaceuticals, animal health and biopharmaceutical contract manufacturing. In 2016, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of around 15.9 billion euros. With more than three billion euros, R&D expenditure corresponds to 19.6 per cent of net sales.
Your application will be reviewed by our recruiting team as well as the respective department. Therefore, we do not state a specific contact person and kindly ask you to use a general salutation in your application.