We are Austria's largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Energy in Vienna invites applications for a:
Master Thesis "Planning and testing of an experimental test rig for Two-phase flow experiments in a heat pump cycle"
- Two-phase flow, condensation and evaporation effects of different refrigerants were investigated in detail in the past, whereas the understanding of the interplay of the refrigerant together with adjoining latent materials (e.g. PCMs) in integrated storages in heat pumps are a current topic of research interest. To gain a deeper understanding of the heat transfer, to validate models and to test new designs of integrated latent storages and heat exchangers, a lab-scale test rigs of a heat pumps is needed.
- Within the present master thesis, this lab scale heat pump equipped with a variety of sensors and the possibility to connect novel lab-scale components will be designed, built and tested with first samples of a Refrigerant-PCM-Water heat exchanger.
- Experimental results will be discussed continuously and finally, the thesis will give a comprehensive description of the test rig, an analysis of first experiments and will furthermore discuss possible heat transfer mechanisms in scaled-down samples.
- You will build up specific knowledge in the field of heat pumps, heat transfer, two-phase flow and measurement techniques in heat pump cycles.
- Under the guidance of our team, you will design a lab-scale heat pump test rig for novel heat exchangers/storages.
- You will carry out experimental tests with the test rig and novel Refrigerant-PCM-Water heat exchanger modules.
- You will analysis the experimental results and compare them with simulations that were carried out in the design phase.
- You gain experience in the area of thermodynamics, heat transfer, thermal energy systems, heat pumps and experimental research.
- You train scientific working and have the opportunity to discuss experiences with scientific experts.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner:
- Ongoing Master's studies in the field of applied science (e.g. mechanical or mechatronics engineering, technical physics or similar)
- Good knowledge in experimental scientific working, data analysis, programming and thermodynamics.
- Interested in the conception of scientific studies
- Self-motivated and problem-solving mindset.
- Good knowledge of English and/or German in word and writing
What to expect:
EUR 779,25 gross per month for 20 hours/week based on the collective agreement. There will be additional company benefits. You will be part of our international Young AIT network. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of master theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to applications from female students!
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Please submit your application documents including your CV, motivational letter and certificates online: https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/137373
For further information please contact: Dr. Johann Emhofer, johann.emhofer(at)ait.ac.at