VACANCY NOTICE 008/2021
Finance Officer (IPSAS Implementation Coordinator)
All our work shall be driven by commitment and excellence
Department: General Management
Location: Laxenburg, AUSTRIA
Type of Contract: Fixed-term
Grade Level: AD 7
Application Deadline: 29-October-21 (Midnight UTC+2)
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: 2 years (renewable) with 4 months probation period
The International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA) is an intergovernmental organization with a global constituency as well as a post-secondary educational institution, headquartered in Laxenburg/Vienna. It is the only international organization with a mandate focused solely on fighting corruption through education, research, cooperation, and technical assistance delivery.
IACA strives to complement the UNs work in the field of sustainable development, incl. through project implementation and provision of technical assistance, and to facilitate the implementation of the UN Convention Against Corruption. We are a pioneering institution that aims to overcome shortcomings in knowledge and practice in the field of anti-corruption and compliance, functioning as a centre of excellence in education, training, networking, and cooperation, as well as academic research. IACA activities benefit public and private sector professionals and practitioners, academics, media professionals, and civil society.
For detailed information on IACA, please visit our website atwww.iaca.int .
As an international civil servant, the incumbent will be entitled to an all-inclusive annual salary of 71,139 EUR. An adjusted dependency benefit will be given to staff members with at least one child. For detailed information on IACA grades and conditions, please consult the Staff Rules of the International Anti-Corruption Academy.
If you have related work experience, meet the requirements outlined in the Job Description on the following pages, adhere to our goals and Guiding Principles, and would like to work in a dynamic, multicultural environment, please send a concise CV and cover letter to email@example.com, clearly stating the Vacancy Notice number in the subject line, no later than 29 October 2021 (Midnight UTC+2). Please include your contact details as well as the names and contact details of three references. Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within IACAs organizational structure, the Finance Officer (IPSAS Implementation Coordinator) works under the overall leadership and supervision of the Head of the General Management department. The incumbents main duty is to develop a detailed project plan for implementation of IPSAS at the Academy, including implementation strategy that considers the business process impact and transitional provisions and transactional history requirements of each IPSAS statement. Currently, IACA prepares financial statement and all corresponding financial documents in accordance with current accounting principles of the Austrian Commercial Code (UGB), under the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Under the supervision of the Head of General Management, the Finance Officer (IPSAS Implementation Coordinator) will coordinate overall migration from local Austrian GAAP (Unternehmensgesetzbuch, UGB) to the International Public Sector Accounting Standards.
Furthermore, the incumbent also works on financial administration, financial reporting, contributing to the proper workflow, results, and functioning within the team.
- The Finance Officer (IPSAS Implementation Coordinator) will perform the following principal duties:
- Prepare an IPSAS migration plan and related risk assessment.
- Lead and implement the transition from IACAs current internal accounting standards to IPSAS, as well as ensure compliance with and applying IPSAS in financial accounting matters.
- Deliver a change management plan including the development and implementation of communication plans to support IPSAS activities of IACA.
- Identify key processes critical to accomplish IPSAS compliance and the corresponding information systems gaps and/or requirements.
- Develop and operationalize relevant IPSAS policy framework and provide day-to-day required policy and technical guidance to the management and staff in all areas identified in the gap analysis towards standardize the system.
- Assure relevant data cleansing and preparation exercise to establish IPSAS compliant opening account balances and financial statements.
- Analyze current accounting transactions and balances on a regular basis, to ensure compliance with IPSAS requirements and provide guidance and support where required.
- Develop IPSAS-compliant accounting policies, guidance and operational procedures that will support the preparation of IPSAS-compliant financial statements.
- Keep abreast of changes in accounting standards and their interpretations, as well as applications of IPSAS standard by IACA.
- Provide advice and guidance concerning the Academys financial practices and rules and provide interpretation of requirements under IPSAS for handling transactions (e.g., authorising payments, approving salary payments, approving budgets and various accounting documents).
- Build the capacity of IACA staff with required knowledge of IPSAS Standards in the implementation process.
- Prepare cost estimates and budget proposals, budget vs. expense overviews, and identify and manage risks.
- Analyze accounts, review/prepare regular financial reports and assist in preparation of the year-end reports.
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained to ensure proper and reliable knowledge management.
- Prepare regular and ad hoc reports, including trend and forecast analysis, policies, and procedure manuals on the subject matter, as required.
- Liaise with the External Auditors on the subject matter, as required.
- Occasional work on other tasks given by superiors is expected, not directly related to the appointment, but where the relevant work experience and skills are an asset and/or the immediate shortage of personnel capabilities require so.
The Finance Officers (IPSAS Implementation Coordinator) place of employment is at the IACA campus, in a multinational environment. The incumbent may also be sent to IACAs other offices or those of partners, contractors, or other third parties in Austria or abroad and on official missions, as work requires, and thus must hold valid international travel documents. The incumbent actively contributes to the development and maintenance of the Academys distinctive character as a centre of excellence in the field of anti-corruption training and education.
Skills and Professional Experience
has extensive technical knowledge of and proven experience in international accounting and financial management, especially pertaining to IPSAS,
has proven experience in handling financial administration,
has practical experience in auditing and is familiar with international auditing standards,
has knowledge and experience in implementation of IPSAS in organization/s,
has excellent numeracy skills, and is an effective problem solver, is extremely detail oriented, with attention to details,
has a very good understanding of book-keeping and accounting systems, necessary for the transition from Austrian GAAP to IPSAS,
is familiar with the handling of contemporary computer software, in particular Microsoft Office 365, especially an advanced knowledge in Excel is required,
has experience working with financial systems or financial modules/functions of Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) systems, such as Oracle, SAP, Peoplesoft, or others,
has knowledge and experience with analyzing audit reports and applying financial control and reporting procedures,
is confident and proactively pursues targets,
is prepared to take over responsibility,
has excellent managerial, supervisory and leadership skills,
is able to work independently and within a multinational environment as well as with people from different professional backgrounds, and a good team player,
is able to work well under pressure, adapt to challenging and changing environments, meet deadlines and determine priorities,
has excellent written and oral communication skills in English,
is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in international, public or private sector multinational organizations in the fields of financial administration, accounting, auditing, budgeting, business administration, change management or related areas is required.
Several years of experience with implementing and applying International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and Public-Sector Accounting Standards and progressive experience preparing financial statements is required. Experience in analyzing audit reports and applying financial control and reporting procedures as well as in project management is desirable.
For applicants with first-level university degree, a minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience in a job-related field is required, preferably in an international organization or a diplomatic mission.
Furthermore, additional qualifications in a job-related field such as additional languages are considered an asset.
Advanced university degree (Masters degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, finance, accounting, economics or a related field is required. An internationally recognized professional accounting qualification (e.g. CPA, CA, ACA, ACCA, CIMA) or equivalent is desirable.
A first-level university degree in any of these fields, in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
IACA is committed to the principles of equal opportunities, non-discrimination, gender balance, and geographical distribution, and upholds its Guiding Principles. We seek to attract the best qualified and most dedicated workforce meeting the highest standards of professional ability, personal integrity, and social competence, and offer fair and competitive international employment terms and conditions.
The selected candidate is expected to start as soon as possible.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Vienna time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- IACAs selection is final and not subject to review.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.